It seems that India’s demonstration of orbital defence capabilities has not won too many friends worldwide as NASA claimed that the debris from India’s anti-satellite (ASAT) missile test has increased a collision risk to the International Space Station (ISS) by nearly 44 percent. A day after NASA’s reaction to India’s anti-satellite test last week, Tapan Misra, senior advisor to ISRO chairman said on Tuesday that Indian scientists will never do anything to bring shame to India and the debris from the “Mission Shakti” experiment will burn out in the next six months, according to a report by The Indian Express.
Speaking about the debris, Misra said, “Even the best of friends sometimes criticize you on your marriage day saying the food is not good… When we do something different we will not always get garlands. That is part of life… It has happened at about 300 km in space where the wind pressure is low, but it is enough to burn them down in another six months.”
The reaction from the world community has not been warm and NASA Administrator, Jim Bridenstine was scathing in his remark when he said that the test was a ‘terrible, terrible thing’ to happen. “Intentionally creating orbital debris fields is not compatible with human spaceflight,” he said.
“We have identified 400 pieces of orbital debris from that one event. What we are tracking right now, objects big enough to track, we’re talking about 10 centimetres or bigger, about 60 pieces have been tracked. Of those 60, we know that 24 of them are going above the apogee of the International Space Station,” he added.
Bridenstine went on add that while the debris will burn out by itself in some time, the whole action sets a bad precedent and other countries might as well be tempted to follow suit. “When one country does it, then other countries feel like they have to do it, as well,” he added.
Source: The Indian Express